Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 2002.
M.A. Herzen University, St. Petersburg, Russia 1991
University of Chicago – special student 1993
Dissertation: Russian Literature and the Press, 1860-1914.
Associate Professor of German and Russian, Pomona College
- “Turning Tricks, Baring Devices: Vasilii Rozanov as Prostitute.” Slavic and East European Journal. Spring 2011.
- “Between Ideology and Desire: The Rhetoric of the Self in the Works of Nikolai Chernyshevsky and Nikolai Dobroliubov.” Slavic Review. Summer 2009.
- “‘I Smoke, therefore I Am’: Smoking as Liberation in Russian Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture,” in Smoking in Russian History. Eds. Matthew Romaniello and Patricia Starks. New York, Routledge, 2009.
- “Zavetnyi mul’tfil’m: Prichiny populiarnosti ‘Cheburashki’,” in Veselye chelovechki: Kul’turnye geroi sovetskogo detstva. Eds., Il’ia Kukulin, Mark Lipovetsky, Mariia Maiofis. Moscow: Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie, 2008.
- “Between Sacrifice and Indulgence: Nikolai Nekrasov as a Model for the Intelligentsia.” Slavic Review. Spring 2007.
- “The Kamenskaia Television Series and the Conventions of Russian Television.” Kinokultura 15 (January 2007).
- “Fedor Mikhailovich Lucked Out with Vladimir Vladimirovich: The Idiot Television Series in the Context of Putin’s Culture.” Kinokultura 9 (July 2005).
- “Boris Akunin: Biobibliographical Essay.” Russian Writers Since 1980 (Dictionary of Literary Biography Series, vol. 285). Eds. Mark Lipovetsky and Marina Balina. Detroit: Gale, 2003. 3-10.
- “The Rise of Crime and Punishment from the Air of the Media.” Slavic Review. Spring 2002.
- “Sentimental’naia kommertsiia: Pis’ma russkogo puteshestvennika N.M. Karamzina” Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie 25 (1997): 84-98.